Crock Pot Roast with Garlic Cauliflower Mash
Who doesn't love a crock pot meal in the winter? How good is a "chuck everything in and walk away" dinner? It's freakin awesome is what it is. This crock pot roast is as quick and easy as they come. It literally takes 2 minutes to prep, which you can easily squeeze into your morning before racing out the door. The cauli mash isn't too difficult or time-intensive either, apart from the 25-ish minutes it takes to roast in the oven. But, again, you're able to pop it in and walk away. Then you just have to whizz it in the food processor and you're ready to serve! If you're like me and feel a meal is incomplete without something green, you can saute up some spinach super quick or steam some kale, chard, or beet greens (pictured here). Recipe for this simplicious weeknight meal comin'atcha.....
Crock Pot Roasted with Garlic Cauliflower Mash
For the roast
- 2 ½ - 3 pound roast (beef, buffalo or elk)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
For the cauliflower mash
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves of garlic left in papery skin
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh herb (i.e. thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano)
- Sprinkle all sides of the roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place in slow cooker. Scatter onions around the roast and pour in the beef broth. Cover and cook until the roast falls apart, 6-8 hours on low, 4-6 hours on high.
- When the roast is falling apart, is tender, use tongs to remove it from the slow-cooker to a cutting board, reserving the onions. Use two forks to shred the meat, discarding any fat.
- Place cauliflower florets and garlic cloves on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with melted butter or ghee, sprinkle with salt, and mix. Roast in oven at 425F for 20-30 minutes, until soft and a little browned on the edges.
- When done, remove papery skin from garlic and place in a food processor. Add cauliflower and 1 tablespoon ghee/butter and blend until creamy and lump-free. You may need to do this step in batches. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Place in a serving bowl, fold in herbs.
- Serve roast topped with juicy onions on garlic mashed cauliflower. Add a side of greens or salad.